Wednesday 20 March 2013

Clock Watching...

I was sorting through a box of random bits and pieces the other day and found where I'd hidden this beautiful vintage watch. I've had it for a long time now and been meaning to find out a bit more about it like where and when it was made.

I have to admit, I'm also a little curious as to how much it would be worth. I'd never sell it though as it once belonged to my Grandma so it's of huge sentimental value. My Grandma died when I was 18 and when my Grandpa asked if I wanted to keep anything of hers, of course I wanted something to remember her by, so chose this. As you can see from the pictures below, it's a stunning piece of antique jewellery.

I've not yet asked my Mum if she knows anything about it (that's my next step) but with just the information on the watch alone, it's not been much to go on. It doesn't have any engraving on the back other than a six digit serial number. You'd think a Google search would return a few snippets of information, but so far, nothing. What I do know is this; It's made by Rotary, a famous Swiss watch maker founded in 1895. It has the makers name written on the watch face but doesn't bear the recognisable winged Rotary logo (adopted in 1925) which leads me to think it may have belonged to someone else who then passed it down to Grandma, as she wasn't born until 1927. So as you can see, this whole thing is turning into a bit of a sleuthing mission. How exciting!

I didn't think it still worked after all this time as it doesn't tick, but since digging it out again and taking photos, I've noticed that the hands do move. So I set the time properly, tested it against the clock on my phone and low and behold, it keeps time perfectly! They certainly don't make 'em like that any more.

If you know anything about how to trace the origin of antique watches, or even know anything more about the history of Rotary watch company, please comment below, drop me an email (fashionnotrocketscience@hotmail.co.uk) or tweet (@Fashion_Rockets) as I'd love to know the story behind this amazing piece.





2 comments: